Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The Lazarus Effect

A new movie that was recently released in theaters, the Lazarus Effect, is related to the pseudo scientific myth about only using ten percent of our brain's capacity. A lot of people believe in the "10%" myth and feel that we would be able to fly, read minds, and obtain invisibility if we could unlock the other 90%.
The Lazarus Effect is based on this concept. In the movie, the actors create a serum that is supposedly the key to bringing people and animals back from the dead. They try it on a dog and the results were positive, but were accompanied by strange side effects. The dog would not eat, would not acknowledge people, and carried a sense of ghostly possession. Later in the movie, one of the main characters dies and in a distraught panic, her fiance tries to bring her back from the dead as well. The serum once again works, but with unbearable effects.
The woman who is brought back from the dead starts to have strange, demonic powers. She is able to move things with her mind, a process known as telekinesis, kill people with her thoughts, and destroy objects and people around her. She was also capable of reading people's current and past thoughts. When the other characters begin to realize that she has abilities that are well behind the human mind, they run a brain scan and discover that her entire brain is lit up and functioning. She was said to be using all of her brain and the feelings she possessed of power and destruction, intensified as the movie progressed.
An element of thought that could be applied to this movie is the concept of implications and consequences. Once the other actors began to realize what they are dealing with, they tried their hardest to make sure the woman was contained. They began to notice how dangerous and deadly it would have been for others if she were to use 100% of her brain in the real world. The implications would be death, destruction, and chaos. According to the movie, a person should not possess such powerful abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment